Low-Fat Chocolate Mousse
- 1/2 cup water plus 6 tablespoons
- 1/2 sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon white vinegar
- 4 ounces 60% dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup low-fat Greek yogurt, plain
- Fresh raspberries (optional)
- Fresh mint (optional)
- In a small saucepan, add 1/2 cup water and sugar. Heat on medium until sugar has dissolved and bubbles begin to form on the surface. Remove from heat. Beat egg whites in a standing mixer until frothy. Add vinegar and continue to beat until stiff peaks appear. Slowly pour the sugar and water mixture down the side of the bowl into egg whites with the mixer on. Beat an additional 2-3 minutes until thick and shiny.
- In a double boiler on the stove top, melt the chocolate, remaining 6 tablespoons water and coco powder. Stir occasionally until chocolate mix is glossy and smooth. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Once the chocolate mixture has cooled slightly, stir in Greek yogurt. Add a third of the egg whites to the chocolate, folding gently. Add the remainder of the egg whites, folding until mostly combined. Be sure not to over mix or mousse will fall flat.
- Spoon into desired serving dishes (individual ramekins work well) and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Chill at least 5 hours. Serve garnished with berries and fresh mint, if desired.
Makes approximately 10 servings.
Prep time is about 6 minutes.
Chill for about 5 hours.
For a printable version of this recipe, click here: Berry-Trifle
This light and delicious trifle is so easy to make, and it’s a beautiful addition to any dessert table. For a more grown-up version, limoncello gives it a lemony zing!
Makes 8 Servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
1 angel food cake
32 oz vanilla yogurt
1 quart strawberries, rinsed, hulled and halved
1 pint blackberries, rinsed
Optional: ½ cup limoncello
- Cut angel food cake into 1” cubes.
- Cover bottom of trifle dish with 1/2 of the angel food cake cubes.
- If using limoncello, drizzle ¼ cup on top of cake cubes.
- Arrange ½ of the berries on top of cake.
- Spread ½ of the yogurt on top of the berries and cake.
- Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of yogurt.
- If using, drizzle remaining limoncello on top of cake cubes.
- Spread with remaining yogurt.
- Arrange remaining berries for a beautiful dessert.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Note: Use your favorite fruit and yogurt flavor, and a complementary liqueur – the combinations are endless.