To download printable version, click here: Club Sandwich Cake
Club Sandwich Cake
The traditional Swedish Sandwich Cake, or smörgåstårta, is made with layers of bread and savory mixes of smoked salmon, tuna salad, ham salad and other creamy delights, decorated with seafood and veggies. This is an American twist on the sandwich cake, made with deli meat, sliced cheeses, lettuce and tomato – essentially a pretty club sandwich, decorated like a cake.
Makes 6 Servings
Prep Time: 45 minutes
5 pita bread rounds
1 cucumber sliced
4 large leaves Romaine lettuce
2 tomatoes, sliced
½ pound sliced deli meat (turkey, ham, roast beef, etc.)
½ pound sliced cheese
6″ wooden skewer
16 oz Greek cream cheese, softened
1 cup plain Greek yogurt
Salt and white pepper to taste
Garlic and onion powder to taste
1 bunch chives
4 cherry tomatoes, halved
1 radish, thinly sliced
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
- Place 1 pita bread on serving plate.
- Spread 2 tbls. cream cheese mixture on bread and top with sliced cucumbers. Layer deli meat and cheese on top of cucumbers.
- Place next pita bread on top of meat and cheese and spread with 2 tbls. cream cheese mixture. Top with 2 leaves of romaine lettuce and sliced tomatoes.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3.
- Cut skewer so it’s slightly shorter than the cake. Poke skewer down center of ‘cake’ so layers don’t slide apart while frosting.
- Frost with remaining ‘frosting’ until covered.
- Decorate with garnishes as desired.
Note: Feel free to swap in your favorite sandwich ingredients.