- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 1/2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cups fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 (1-ounce) slices French bread
- 3 ounces thinly sliced Swiss cheese
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add squash, carrot, and onion; saute for 12 minutes. Add chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half and salt.
- Preheat broiler.
- Place squash mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape), and secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth.
- For cheesy bread, arrange French bread on a baking sheet. Broil for 1 minute or until lightly toasted. Turn bread over, and top evenly with Swiss cheese. Broil for 1 minute or until bubbly.