Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbs ground coriander
- 1 Tbs ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3 Tbs garam masala
- 2-3 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 10 oz bang frozen peas, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, ground coriander, cumin and salt. Toss to combine. Stir in yogurt, coating chicken evenly. Marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add half of chicken and cook until browned on both sides. Transfer to slow cooker. Repeat with remaining chicken.
- In same skillet, add 1 more tablespoon olive oil. Add onions, garlic, and red pepper flakes and saute until onions are softened and translucent, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt, garam masala and ginger and cook 1 more minute. Add tomatoes and sugar, turn heat on high, and bring to a boil. Pour over chicken in slow cooker. Cover and cook for 5-6 hours on LOW.
- Whisk together cornstarch and 1/4 cup heavy cream and add to crockpot along with remaining heavy cream and peas. Stir to combine. Cover and continue to cook 10 minutes on HIGH.