Turkey & Vegetable Meatloaf
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely diced sweet potato
- 1/3 cup minced shallots
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced zucchini
- 3/4 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 3/4 cup pees, fresh or frozen
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds 85% lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sweet potato and shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add bell pepper and zucchini; cook, stirring until the vegetables are starting to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add corn, peas and garlic; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Stir in salt and pepper. Turn the mixture onto a plate and cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl; whisk in milk, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, Worcestershire, thyme and cayenne. Stir in cooled vegetables. Add turkey and gently but thoroughly mix with your hands or a spoon to combine. Shape the mixture into two loaves (about 6 by 3 inches each) on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of each loaf with half the ketchup.
- Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers at least 160 degrees Fahrenheit about 40 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before slicing.
Serves 8: 4 (1 1/2 inch thick) slices per meatloaf.