- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for the pan
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- For the topping, cook and stir the 10 tablespoons butter in a skillet over medium heat until the butter foams, begins to turn light brown, and smells nutty. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the browned butter until large crumbs form; set aside.
- For the cake, preheat the over to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 9-inch square baking pan; set aside.
- Mix the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and orange zest in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cook and stir the butter in a skillet over medium heat until it foams, begins to turn brown, and smells nutty. Cool slightly.
- Combine the egg, milk, orange juice, vanilla, and browned butter in a separate bowl. Pour the egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir just until combines. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. (It will look like a small amount of batter.) Distribute the cranberries over the batter, pressing them into the batter slightly.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping evenly over the cake, pressing down on it slightly. )This will be a very generous amount of crumbs.) Bake for about 50 minutes or until the crumbs are golden and a cake tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely in the pan.